CMA Announces 2013 Broadcast Awards Finalists
CMA announced the 2013 CMA Broadcast Awards finalists for Radio Personality and Station of the Year today during a breakfast for CMA members. The finalists were announced by four-time CMA Award winner Steve Wariner
via live stream from CMA’s offices in Nashville, Tenn.
The CMA Broadcast Award winners will be notified in mid-October and will be acknowledged at “The 47th
Annual CMA Awards,” to be held Wednesday, Nov. 6
(8:00-11:00 PM/ET) and broadcast live by the ABC Television Network from the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville. Brad Paisley
and Carrie Underwood
return to host “Country Music’s Biggest Night™” for the sixth time.
“Country radio stations are the ambassadors for our format,” said Ed Hardy
, President of the CMA Board of Directors. “They help connect new artists and music with fans and aid in advancing artists’ careers. Their contributions to the genre are vital and CMA is proud to recognize those contributions.”
CMA received a record number of entries in 2013. Normally, five finalists are selected for CMA Broadcast Personality and CMA Radio Station of the Year in four categories: Small, Medium, Large, and Major Market. However, the categories this year are especially competitive with ties in three categories. Large Market Personality of the Year has seven nominees vying for the trophy, while Small Market Personality of the Year and Major Market Station of the Year each have six contenders.
“I think it speaks to the strength of the format and the quality of the stations to have ties in multiple categories,” said Hardy.
The categories are established by market size based on population as ranked by Arbitron. Entries for Broadcast Personality of the Year are judged on aircheck, ratings, community involvement, and biographical information. Candidates for Station of the Year are judged on aircheck, ratings history, community involvement, and format leadership.
Three finalists are selected for National Broadcast Personality of the Year. To be eligible, candidates must be syndicated, short-form, hub voice-tracking, and satellite personalities heard in at least three markets with a minimum of 40 shows per year.
CMA members who are full-time, on-air personalities and CMA member radio stations in the United States and Canada were eligible to enter. The entries are judged by a panel of distinguished broadcast professionals, representing all market sizes and regions.
An aggregate score of the first round of judging and the second round, which is done by a different panel of judges, determines the winners. The international accounting firm of Deloitte & Touche LLP tabulates scoring by the judges. CMA Broadcast Award winners are not eligible to enter in consecutive years; therefore, those who received trophies in 2012 were not eligible in 2013.
CMA BROADCAST PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR:
- “American Country Countdown” (Kix Brooks) – Cumulus Media Networks
- “The Crook & Chase Countdown” (Lorianne Crook and Charlie Chase) – Jim Owens Entertainment and Premiere Networks
- “The Lia Show” (Lia Knight) – Dial Global
- “Ben & Matt in the Morning!” (Ben Campbell and Matt McAllister) – KNIX, Phoenix, Ariz.
- “Cornbread Morning Show” (Jeff Law, Judi Diamond, and Mac Douglas) – WIL, St. Louis, Mo.
- “The Doc and Andie Show” (Ken Medek, Andie Summers, and Kevin Crockett) – WXTU, Philadelphia, Pa.
- “Laurie DeYoung Morning Show” (Laurie DeYoung, Mark Williams, Jeff St. Pierre, and Claire Scattergood) – WPOC, Baltimore, Md.
- “Paul Schadt Morning Show” (Paul Schadt, Meg Butterly, and Geof Knight) – WKKT, Charlotte-Gastonia, N.C./ Rock Hill, S.C.
- Angie Ward – WTQR, Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point, N.C.
- “Brian and Amanda in the Morning” (Brian Phillips and Amanda Leonardo) – WCTK, Providence- Warwick-Pawtucket, R.I.
- “Chris Carr & Company” (Chris Carr, Jeff “Maverick” Bolen, and Jason Statt) – WUBE, Cincinnati, Ohio
- “Jim, Deb & Kevin” (Jim Denny, Deborah Honeycutt, and Kevin Freeman) – WFMS, Indianapolis, Ind.
- “Mornings with Dave O’Brien” (Dave O’Brien) – WLHK, Indianapolis, Ind.
- “Q Morning Crew” (Mike Wheless, Marty Young, and Janie Carothers) – WQDR, Raleigh-Durham, N.C.
- “The Tige & Daniel Morning Show” (Tige Rodgers and Daniel Baker) – WTQR, Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point, N.C.Medium Market
- “The 95 KSJ Country Breakfast Club with Dan Brennan and Shelby Mitchell” (Dan Brennan and Shelby Mitchell) – WKSJ, Mobile, Ala.
- “Andy and Alison and the Morning Crew” (Andy Ritchie, Alison West, and Jimmy Holt) – WIVK, Knoxville, Tenn.
- “Kevin Richards Show” (Kevin Richards) – WGNA, Albany-Schenectady-Troy, N.Y.
- “Steve & Gina and the Kat 103 Morning Show” (Steve Lundy and Gina Melton) – KXKT, Omaha, Neb./Council Bluffs, Iowa
- “Tom and Becky in the Morning” (Becky Palmer and Tom Owens), WBBS, Syracuse, N.Y.
CMA RADIO STATION OF THE YEAR
KUPL – Portland, Ore.
WIL – St. Louis, Mo.
WKIS – Miami-Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood, Fla.
WMZQ – Washington, D.C.
WPOC – Baltimore, Md.
WXTU – Philadelphia, Pa.
KAJA – San Antonio, Texas
WCTK – Providence-Warwick-Pawtucket, R.I.
WFMS – Indianapolis, Ind.
WLHK – Indianapolis, Ind.
WQDR – Raleigh-Durham, N.C.
KSSN – Little Rock, Ark.
KUZZ – Bakersfield, Calif.
KXKT – Omaha, Neb./Council Bluffs, Iowa
WBBS – Syracuse, N.Y.
WYRK – Buffalo-Niagara Falls, N.Y.
KCLR – Columbia, Mo.
WGSQ – Cookeville, Tenn.
WKSF – Asheville, N.C.
WLLR – Quad Cities-Davenport-Rock Island, Iowa/Moline, Ill.
WXFL– Florence-Muscle Shoals, Ala.
“The 47th Annual CMA Awards” is a production of the Country Music Association. Robert Deaton is the Executive Producer and Paul Miller is the Director. The CMA Awards will be shot in high definition and broadcast in 720 Progressive (720P), ABC’s selected HDTV format, with 5.1 channel surround sound.
Chevrolet™ is the Official Ride of Country Music. American Airlines is the Official Airline of the CMA Awards
- “Barrett, Fox & Berry” (Bill Barrett, Tim Fox, and Tracy Berry) – KKNU, Eugene-Springfield, Ore.
- “The Good Morning Guys” (Brian Gary, Todd Harding, and Susan Moore) – KUAD, Ft. Collins-Greeley, Colo.
- “Middays with Philip Gibbons” (Philip Gibbons) – WGSQ, Cookeville, Tenn.
- “The Monk & Kelly Show” (Jonathon Monk and Dianna Kelly) – WGSQ, Cookeville, Tenn.
- “Officer Don and DeAnn” (Don Evans and DeAnn Stephens) – WBUL, Lexington-Fayette, Ky.
- “Scotty & Cara in the Morning” (Scotty Cox and Cara Denis) – KCLR, Columbia, Mo.