The Country Music Association has revealed the nominees for 2021’s CMA International Awards, which honor artists and industry executives who have supported and impacted the growth and promotion of Country Music in the International marketplace. Recognized in multiple categories and voted on by international members, nominees from Australia, Canada, Germany, The Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, the United Kingdom and the United States are honored for their continued efforts in expanding Country Music’s footprint in their local territories.
In addition to the five existing CMA International Award categories, CMA has also added a new award this year, the Rob Potts International Live Music Advancement Award. Named after the late Australian promoter, this award recognizes outstanding achievements by an individual who has made important contributions to the live music industry by extending performance opportunities and building live audiences for Country Music outside of the United States. A celebrated manager, promoter, CMA Board member and advocate for Country Music, Potts’ career spanned more than 30 years, opening doors for Australian Country artists including Tommy Emmanuel, Morgan Evans and Keith Urban. Promoters, booking agents, talent buyers, festival and venue bookers, and other live music industry professionals are eligible to receive this award, which is to be presented only when it is deemed that a recipient is worthy of recognition.
“We are delighted to honor those in the industry who have been instrumental in carrying Country Music forward into territories outside of the United States as this year’s CMA International Awards nominees,” says Sarah Trahern, CMA Chief Executive Officer. “And we are especially thrilled to be adding a new award to the slate this year recognizing those specifically in the live music industry cultivating and growing Country Music’s reach. A true pioneer in the genre, few people exemplified this more than Rob Potts. He was a driving force in our efforts to expand Country Music internationally, and I am excited we are able to honor those following in Rob’s footsteps.”
2021 CMA INTERNATIONAL AWARDS – NOMINEES:
ROB POTTS INTERNATIONAL LIVE MUSIC ADVANCEMENT AWARD
This award recognizes outstanding achievements by an individual who has made important contributions to the live music industry by extending performance opportunities and building live audiences for Country Music outside of the United States.
- Michael Chugg (Australia – Chugg Entertainment and Chugg Music)
- Sina Hall (Germany – Semmel Concerts Entertainment GmbH)
- Nigel Hassler (U.K. – CAA)
- Sigve Prestnes (Norway – Stageway Talent)
- Troy Vollhoffer (Canada – Premier Global Production, Country Thunder Music Festivals and Big Valley Jamboree)
JO WALKER MEADOR INTERNATIONAL AWARD
This award recognizes outstanding achievement by an individual in advocating and supporting Country Music’s marketing development in territories outside the United States.
- Ilse DeLange (The Netherlands – Artist, founder of Spark Records, Firefly Publishing and Tuckerville Festival)
- Tracy Martin (Canada – The Core Entertainment)
- Natalie Waller (Australia – ABC Music and Events)
- Chris York (U.K.– SJM Concerts, Country to Country Festival U.K.)
WESLEY ROSE INTERNATIONAL MEDIA ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
This award recognizes outstanding achievements in the media as they relate to Country Music outside of the United States.
- Mathias Bridfelt (Sweden – SVT)
- Saniel Marriner (Australia – CMT Australia)
- Ricky Marshall (U.K.– BBC Radio 2)
- Charlotte Thompson (Canada – Red Umbrella P.R.)
INTERNATIONAL ARTIST ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
This award recognizes outstanding achievement by a United States-based artist who has demonstrated the most significant creative growth, development and promotion of the Country Music industry outside of the United States during the eligibility period.
- Brothers Osborne
- Luke Combs
- Dan + Shay
- Maren Morris
INTERNATIONAL COUNTRY BROADCASTER AWARD
This award recognizes outstanding achievement by a radio broadcaster or syndicated radio reporter outside the United States who has made important contributions for the development of Country Music in his/her country.
- Dayna Bourgoin (Canada – Pure Country Radio/Bell Media)
- Rita Jernquist (Sweden – Sveriges Radio P4)
- Baylen Leonard (U.K. – Absolute Radio Country/Bauer Radio Limited)
- Justin Thomson (Australia – KIX Country/Grant Broadcasters)
JEFF WALKER GLOBAL COUNTRY ARTIST AWARD
This award recognizes outstanding achievements by a Country Music artist signed outside of the United States. The artist must have furthered the popularity of Country Music as well as brought attention to the Country Music format in their foreign based territory.
- Jill Johnson (Sweden)
- Brett Kissel (Canada)
- The Shires (U.K.)
- The Wolfe Brothers (Australia)